Stranger in Oaxaca

The start of my adventure began this past November when I received my acceptance letter into the ProWorld Service Corps program. I will spend two months assisting members of the community in an Anthropology related project, most likely affiliated with the Union de Museos Comunitarios. Follow me through the entire ProWorld experience as I make my way from all of the preparations and finally embark on my journey to Oaxaca, Mexico!

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

El Tule

Aside from meeting my lovely host family, I think the highlight of my weekend was having the opportunity to go to Tule to visit the huge tree there. This was the first activity I did with Sra. Mireya and Abuela Semiramis after we had a nice lunch at El Milenario. I´ve already had an opportunity to try three different moles. I´ve decided I don´t like the green one all that much.

Here´s a picture of the huge tree. If you look carefully, in certain parts you can see different animal figures. Sra. Mireya told me there´s a lion, deer and elephant. I also got to witness a funeral the first day I was with my family. In Mexico, there are grand processions with mariachis and a parade to the cemetery.
I already have so much supplemental material for more research regarding Day of the Dead. It´s been fun to get a local perspective on death rituals and the upcoming holiday in November. I´m sure I will be describing all of this more in the coming months.

1 Comments:

Blogger Not Quite Grown Up... said...

Hi Maggie,
I go by anonymous on this blogger login, (because I'm paranoid about certain people finding things I write about on my page) but I'm your friend who's in Mexico, too. I'm glad to hear (and see the pictures!) that you've started to settle in. Just wait a month, when you really start to be able to understand people. It's awesome.

Thursday, September 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home