Stranger in Oaxaca

The start of my adventure began this past November when I received my acceptance letter into the ProWorld Service Corps program. I will spend two months assisting members of the community in an Anthropology related project, most likely affiliated with the Union de Museos Comunitarios. Follow me through the entire ProWorld experience as I make my way from all of the preparations and finally embark on my journey to Oaxaca, Mexico!

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Amigos del Sol


I started my Spanish courses at Amigos del Sol Escuela de Español this past Monday. My friend Natalie and I are in the same classes. It´s been very nice to have individualized attention to our grammar and language practice since there are only two of us. Today we visited the cemetery located near our school. This is a picture of what the cemeteries look like in Oaxaca. You can imagine how happy I was to actually see a Mexican cemetery in person after doing a year of research about funeral rituals, Day of the Dead and the distinction between cemeteries in the states and those in Mexico.

This afternoon I had a discussion with my program coordinator Augustin. He told me that I´m going to have the opportunity to visit other communities in Oaxaca during the week. Natalie and I will be visiting one of the towns by bus every few days to work on a new exhibit that is going to displayed in December. I will have more details to share regarding my project in the coming days. I will be meeting with my ¨boss,¨ Teresa Morales and her husband Cuahtemoc in a few days to share my ideas about what I would like to do and how I think I can help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home